Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Onwards to Cusco, Peru and Machu Picchu!




As the trip continued, Jorge, Mikey and I went on to Cusco, Peru, to visit Machu Picchu and many other Inca Ruins. The ruins we visited were A-mazing! I mean, the lengths that Inca's must have gone to to build what they did is indescribable! Their whole socitey and way of life centered around the sun. they built whole cities on mountain tops across this area of the Andes. It was warm when the sun was out, but sooo cold when the sun was gone. even though we were at 13 degrees south latitude in the tropics. The town of Cusco sits 3400 meters high.







From there you take a 4 hour train ride to a town called
Aguas Calientes, or "hot water". Here, at the base of the mountain in which Machu Picchu lies, this tiny town with no streets built wide enough for cars (as the town is not big enough to need them), and natural springs of hot water to relax in after climbing around Machu Picchu all day, which we did. Early in the morning, before the sun rises, you leave your hostel and walk down the street to meet the buses that will take you up to Machu Picchu, this is a little over a half hour.


We had a tour of the lost city first thing in the morning. We could not see anything when we first
arrived, but in minutes the clouds lifted and revealed the most amazing sight! This lost city is by far, the most amazing city the Inca's built. It is thought to be the last city they built before they disappeared due to the approaching conquistadors. It was very hot at MP (Machu Picchu) as its elevation is only 2400 m and it sits in the same latitude as Cusco. This was a nice change as I was sick of being cold. It was an absolutely incredible place and they used Al Paca's to mow the lawn! I feel that if I try to describe this high energy place anymore, I will not be doing it any justice. It is truly a world wonder and I recommend that everyone go. Oh, and one more thing about it. Next to MP is another mountain called Wynna Picchu that you can climb and look down at MP.

Mikey and I did this and it was well worth the trouble. It wasn't to difficult, all though most people on the trail were amazed to find that I was doing it in my slippers (flip-flops for all you mainlanders)! Next to Wynna Picchu we were taking group shots and there was a school tour group there from somewhere else in Peru. They thought we were just awesome and all wanted their pictures taken with us, this was a funny and delightful experience.






After MP, we went back into the town and ate at Judy'd, our new favorite spot with a great happy hour!! We had a few drinks and then Jorge and I went to the natural springs to relax. These natural springs did not look to natural though as they had been built up for the tourists with tiled walls and different pools were controlled at different levels of heat. In fact, I think these pools made me very sick the next day. It was an awful train ride back to Cusco!




Back in Cusco, time was well spent! Mostly Jorge and I hung out with some of the locals, we even got to play with fire some! I made a great new friend Roberto, who I tried my best to learn Spanish from. I probably failed that course, but I tried. Roberto got a wonderful puppy while I was there named Canabito. Cusco also had a wonderful market with the most amazing juice bar ever! This is Jorge trying to pick out what fruit he wanted his fresh squeezed juice to come from! It was a very difficult choice. For less then aa dollar you would get 3 or 4 glasses filled with theis fresh juice, it was A-mazing!

No comments: