Thursday, June 26, 2008

Life in BrisVegas!

Life here in Brisbane (a.k.a.BrisVegas and Brissy) is going swimmingly. I moved here in order to look for work as there was none to be found in Adelaide. I was successful! There is so much work here that you don't have to look very hard to find it. In fact, I did not even have to put one resume out before work found me! On day 2 at the hostel as I was gearing up to go into the city to look for work, a lady rocked up in a station wagon looking for a cleaner for the day. I said I would do it and I ended up scoring a great job. It is NOT a glamorous job, nor a fun job, but it is in fact a job with plenty of hours and great pay. So what is the job? I am cleaning construction sites during their final stages of completion, before they are handed over to the client. Most of these sites are office buildings. My new boss was so impressed with me, she bought me a phone and promoted me to supervisor. I am now in charge of 3 buildings, 3 floors each, being built for Virgin Blue Airlines. This site will keep me busy for the rest of my time in Brisbane!
I plan to stay here until the end of August or so. Or until I get really bored and feel I have enough money to continue on, whichever comes first. In any case, this is definitely my home for the next couple of months.
I am living at a hostel appropriately named Homestead. We have a great little crew of long term residents here. I have made a lot of friends and have a good time with them on the weekend when I am not working my 60 hour weeks! Here are a few pictures of them on a night out :)











p.s. for those wondering about my birthday... Any money gifts can be given to my father who will deposit them into my account. Or if you would like to send a gift, my mother knows what I need :) Thanks! If you want to send me a card, my mailing address here is
Anny Barlow
57 Annie St.
New Farm, Qld 4005
Australia
I hope you are all enjoying a wonderful and stress free summer!
p.p.s. one more thing... I would like to congratulate my brother Mike and his wife Jen on the new arrival of their son William Eli, born June 2, 2008!! I miss my family, especially the little ones more than anyone knows. Take care!






No comments: